Monday 15 October 2012

Turf Moor Memories


Hi,

  I was all of 9 years old and I had been nagging my Father, "Please take me to Burnley Dad, please, please." and after many repetitions of that request, he finally succumbed and agree to take me to Turf Moor for my first ever game. The date was 12th September 1978. It was a special treat for myself and my older brother Rob who had celebrated his 11th birthday just a few days earlier. Non of us including my Father had any real understanding of the enormity of of our first ever visit to the hallowed Turf Moor. The game in question was Burnley v Celtic in the Anglo Scottish Cup.
This is were we stood


Recalling that evening all these years later, is not easy but there a number of things that remain very clear in the memory of this ageing body of mine. 
 I recall the busyness of the occasion, it was buzzing, I felt like a very, very small fish in a very large pond, I had never seen so many people, it was by far and away the largest congregation of people I had ever seen in the first nine years of my life. I recall being in a very long queue to gain entrance to the Bee Hole End eagerly waiting to see what lied on the other side of the turnstile, and after much waiting, what lied on the other side of the turnstile was pretty similar to what was on the outside. I remember "the atmosphere" it was noisy, very noisy, it was intimidating and threatening, loud and aggressive, and it was extremely male orientated. I don't recall seeing any ladies, although I may be factually incorrect. I recall the smell, of tobacco and urine, and I observed a long queue for both the most hideous dank depressing toilets, and another cigarette lined long queue for the Beer Cabin. 
We made our way up to steps to take our position behind the goal, and I distinctly remember Turf Moor having that beautiful sparkle, you know the one? when the floodlights on and and there is a feel of expectancy in the air?
My Dad fort to get us a good view, but I remember spending most of my time on tip toes, trying to get a glimpse of the Burnley players I was "as yet" unfamiliar with. 
I don't remember much of the game, but I remember the tense electric atmosphere, I remember lots of bad language, I remember the passion and deep feeling that was held by Burnley and Celtic fans alike. The Celtic fans, It was many years later when Sheffield Wednesday visited in the FA Cup before I experienced such an intensity from an away following. They were off the scale and as this was my first game I spent a lot of time with my eyes transfixed on the bouncing supporters and the growing bad feeling within the ground. And so it happened, like a wave crashing over a sea breaker the Celtic fans invaded Turf Moor I was frightened, really frightened, and before I knew what was happening, my Dad grabbed me and my brother, and shouted "were going and were never coming back"
Over 30 years Later, we did go back, we continue to do so, except for my elderly and frail Father. I am a church goer I visit church weekly, but Turf Moor is my other place of Worship, I go as much as I can, from League games, to Cup matches, reserves to the youth team. To me Turf Moor is a beautiful special place, it's not Old Trafford, Anfield, Ibrox or The Nou Camp, but you know?


I really don't want it to be. It's a place that has made me laugh, smile, cry, despair, I love Turf Moor, it is my special place, to let off steam, enjoy myself and support the club that means so much to me. I didn't feel that on my first visit to Turf Moor, but I certainly do now.
best wishes

Alextheanglican

No comments:

Post a Comment

On line

  I have always been intrigued by media, television and radio, I recall a time when the family would come together shortly after tea to chil...