Saturday 31 January 2015

Fry'd Christians

Fry’d Christians

Stephen Fry attacks down the left, no down the right, through the middle round the sides, over the top and smashes the God delusion right into the back of the net! Another resounding victory for the Anti – Christ brigade, in fact I have never been so impressed since Johnny Rottens’ beautiful rendition of Anarchy in the UK on channel 4’s The Tube sometime back in the 1980’s which I incidentally still have somewhere on a high quality but low selling Betamax cassette tape.

And with the usual damnation of all things Jesus he frequently skillfully and meticulously dismantles the concept of a loving God that might one day welcome him with open arms into the bosom of heaven. In fact I believe am I right in saying that if that was to happen to Fry, the great man would decline the offer because  if ‘this’ God was to allow children to contract cancer and so forth then he wanted no part of this notion of heaven. Fry is a master of the English language and has more than one or two supporters if his twitter numbers are anything to go by.  There is no doubt he is a formidable and persuasive supporter of the atheist religion, and one whom I often wish was in the Christian corner of the ring rather than the other side which benefits from such an eloquent and high profile academic/celebrity/writer/director and supporter of gay rights. I admire him greatly he is a man for whom talent is endless as he succeeds in most things he turns his hand to.

And yet whilst he does much damage to Christianity and anything that supports the notion of a higher being, forgive me if I remain as much a doubting Thomas of his position as he is of mine. Within the great man I see a vulnerability that I feel supports the necessity of Christianity and the truthfulness of the faith of which I am part of. Stephen Fry is probably one of my favorite celebrities, one of the people I would definitely have at the top of my dinner party wish list. I am sure he could bamboozle me with anti-Christian rhetoric and take me to the very edge of jumping ship as he crushes my rather simplistic approach to my faith in Jesus as the way and the truth.

I don’t want to get into heavy theological debate about God and suffering, but in a nutshell I would suggest that suffering is a necessary part of our humanity, if we only experienced the highs then I believe we are not living in the real world. The lows remind us of our responsibilities, to love one another in times of difficulty, to pull together in times of strife, to support our friends in times of need and to learn much about our own existence, emotions and well-being.  If life was one big high and nothing went wrong, and nobody got ill, and nobody got hurt and nobody suffered then we would be living in Paradise, and you will not be surprised to hear me suggest that destination Paradise is awaiting not in this life but the next. Mr Fry with all his genius and all his intellect and his success and his wealth is brilliant utterly compelling, I really mean that, but he demonstrates just enough for me to doubt his rhetoric his front and his fabulously articulate destruction of the God that I love and one I believe loves me.

There are three views aren’t there? God exists, God does not exist, I am not sure if God exists or not! Stephen Fry clearly believes God does not exist and in the unlikely event that our paths shall cross I shall leave it to the worlds’ great theologians to argue with Fry and debate the finer points of God as creator or a bang that was very big! For those of you unsure then I absolutely understand the predicament. As for me, with all the sincerity, all the meticulous use of beautiful words, with all the utter genius of Fry, sadly or gladly it is not enough to dissuade me from my absolute conviction in truth of Jesus Christ. Why? Jesus Christ did it all, he loved, he healed,  he cleansed, he grieved, he walked with the lowest of the low, he fought the oppression of humanity, he stood up for his beliefs, he taught about righteousness and the future, and importantly he suffered. He suffered the most despicable and horrendous slaughter. He was humiliated, tortured, and reduced to nothing, and he died on the cross. His legacy leaves hope in a bright tomorrow, a way of life that can’t be criticized. Where is the harm in loving thy neighbor as thyself? Christianity has much to be rightly criticized for, organized religion has many flaws, and I am not responsible for the wrong doings of so called ‘Christians’ who have damaged the good name of Jesus. But I am responsible for telling the truth as I see it. As Fry is a man of integrity and genius I consider myself a much less successful individual but equally a man of integrity and my words may be much less persuasive and far less articulate than my favorite quiz show host but never the less they are written with absolute truth as I see it. I pray for Fry sometimes, why? I think he needs praying for, he may see that as condescending and inappropriate, I see it as absolutely necessary.
The secular word wants less Faith and more fiction; I understand this but the media moguls, the anti- Christ army and the sometimes offensive bigotry to people of faith should not surprise those who live it. Nobody said following Christ would be easy, it isn’t but following ones faith should prove fruitful in the end.
In Christ
Alextheanglican


No comments:

Post a Comment

On line

  I have always been intrigued by media, television and radio, I recall a time when the family would come together shortly after tea to chil...