Wednesday 29 July 2015

Who's this Fr Alex then ?

Hi
  It has been just over three weeks since ordination and the euphoria of that very special day and the emotion and giddiness has now passed, The ordination cards have come down and been put away for safe keeping, the adrenalin filled countdown to the big day has long gone and now here I am as a man working out what happens next?

Well what happens next literally is I am off to Holy Island from my bolt hole of St Johns College which sits in the shadow of one of Britain’s most historical Christian settings being that of the stunning Durham Cathedral. I haven’t slept well since I arrived a few days ago and the double malt whiskey’s I have been indulging in have done little to help me on my way. The company I am with is splendid, colleagues and now friends form the mix for my final academic obligation for 2014/2015 and whilst I am happy to be here, part of me would like to be at home and getting on with the day job and being with the family.


                                                                    
                                                                       Holy Island

However here I am and Durham is indeed a great place to reflect on all that has passed on all that lies ahead, the emotions can be extreme and the future a little overwhelming as I currently feel in a place of unnerving vulnerability. It’s that kind of feeling when you start a new job, keen to do good things but naive and insecure about doing matters properly in fear of making a mess. In recent weeks I have turned into a bit of a flapper a fumbler a wobbler yet desperately intent on getting through the early days impatiently striving to get to a place of familiarity and comfort.

Here at Durham, classroom periods are a mixture of interested learning time to moments of drifting off with the fairies and thinking about Baptism visits, family members, prayers, preaching, death and dying and my impending holiday abroad. After working for the same business for 15 years all of sudden doing something else is very difficult indeed. Being a ‘professional’ Christian is not that simple. I am slowly getting used to wearing the dog collar and with that I am beautifully afforded lots of smiles and good wishes as though I have become this delightfully kind and attractive person overnight. Nobody has told me to sod off yet although I suspect it is just a matter of time. And yet also with the collar comes the responsibility of being a public figure and that is something I am still working on as I often get a second glance from someone in the street or a snotty child looking up at me oddly up as I queue in the supermarket with my items from the reduced counter!

Time is something I am struggling with as well; I have gone from not having enough hours in the days to do things to having periods of great time to manage myself and my priorities and what I do next. This has resulted in a combination of visiting, listening, understanding how the rhythm of life as a Deacon should play out. Visits to the foodbank, the school, the hospice, meeting clergy has been very informative but I struggle committing to too much as I am reminded that the purpose of an newly ordained person is as much about the ‘being’ as it is about the ‘doing’. However a community center in the parish have made me so welcome and the banter between a, wet behind the ears curate and some lovely older folk who share stories and laughs as I serve them pea and ham soup or a nice pudding is something to behold.

Joining an Anglo Catholic church comes with much to learn, so much to wear and when to wear it, so many traditions that if aren’t protected by us slowly slip away in time neve r to be seen again and I really value and appreciate the importance of this in our attempts to ensure Gods church remains a Holy space where unique and beautiful worship is played out in a troubled part of Burnley for many years to come.  People are so kind and encouraging but it is something I find overwhelming in itself and the gentleness I am afforded is probably more than I deserve. It leads me to feel very blessed, My training incumbent is I suppose what a good training incumbent should be, honest, patient, instructive, and encouraging, supportive and I sense is more than experienced enough to let me do things when the time is right. That is really important to me and very reassuring.



                                                              St Matthews, Burnley

It might feel odd to read this as the last month has genuinely been one of the most wonderful periods of my entire life. The family is settled at our lovely home, ordination is done, and I have a holiday to Turkey to look forward to. Yet taking on this new role and one that comes with great responsibility and that realization has struck home with great oomph over the last few weeks, there can be no turning back, no return to retail and the autonomy to retreat to the safety haven of my office when the going gets tough has gone. No get out clauses just a stark realization that through my own submission to God I have committed myself to a life as a public figure wearing a dog collar and following Jesus.

It is evening now and Holy Island was lovely and another reminder have had the privilege to do some many wonderful things throughout my training and I have met some amazing people, many of whom are now dear friends. I have visited some stunning places and been in awe of some of the sights before me but this very evening has been one to behold. Tonight at Durham Cathedral as the last stragglers, the final tourist left this most amazing building, I and my peers from our theological college went in. We had the cathedral to ourselves, it was beautifully lit, very still, atmospherically stunning and once more I felt incredibly close to my creator as a priest led us on a pilgrimage through this Holy place. And it has left me feeling I don’t want this relationship to be exclusive. I want it to be corporate and I want others to share in the happiness of a relationship with someone that will not judge, will not criticize, will not gossip, but will love and nurture you, and be the rock to a fast crumbling and eroding world and sometimes frantic way of life. I wondered how I could encourage anybody who reads my blog yet struggles with faith so they could do so.



                                                             Durham Cathedral
                                                                 
And I came to this conclusion God is ready if you are. You may be ready but frightened, you may be curious but embarrassed you may be ridiculed if you told anyone and so on and so on. Maybe you have tried before and found nothing; you may have experienced before yet lost. Yet when I think about my own vocation it started with something so simple, something so familiar and something I never thought would lead to ordination. What was that thing do you think?

When I was about 12 years old no one in my family mentioned church or Jesus or God but for some reason I believed in this ‘thing’ called God. The only thing I knew with any certainty was The Lord’s prayer.  So on my own under the covers of my duvet I would recite the Lord’s Prayer. Every night of my life from childhood I said The Lord’s prayer. I told nobody, never mentioned it, not to my parents or my wife or my children till much later in our relationship. I didn’t expect anything; I never asked for anything, I just recited The Lord’s prayer.

Our Father
Who art in heaven
Hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come
Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us
And lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil
For thine is the kingdom
The power and the glory
Forever and ever
Amen




Theologians like to discuss this kind of stuff, I just like to say it and I say it at least three times a day now, but what about you? Do you say it? Do you have the courage to open the door a little to God? Try it go on when you have read this blog try it. Nothing might happen but stick with it, in due course it will!

Our Father
Who art in heaven
Hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come
Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us
And lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil
For thine is the kingdom
The power and the glory
Forever and ever
Amen

As I leave LCTP College and return to my Curacy, I leave The Lord’s prayer with you. One prayer and one small step.

Love and best wishes
Alextheanglican
Fr Alex
Frostie
Alex
Al
Rev
x
x
x
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

On line

  I have always been intrigued by media, television and radio, I recall a time when the family would come together shortly after tea to chil...