Saturday 9 June 2012

Faith in a Caravan

Well hello again,
               My wife and I generally get on quite well, we are good friends, we enjoy each others company, we think we are reasonable parents etc etc, but there is one area we have rather strong differences of opinion.
The subject in question is caravans,My dear wife loves a caravan and frequently talks of her desire to own her own caravan so we can travel across the globe in our mobile home as one big happy family.
But this week after spending a very enjoyable Mon - Fri holiday in Berwick Upon Tweed I remain unconvinced at the potential "Joy" of owning our own travelling residence.
When you first arrive and enter your home for the week it is very true that you cant be nothing short of impressed at the many features a 8 birth caravan can offer. There is the open lounge with ample seating, the dining table to seat 4 people very comfortably, there is the kitchen area with gas, sink, microwave and so on, and the hallway with a barrage of doors leading to more expressions of caravan delights, we had 3 bedrooms, a bathroom and toilet room, like I say on the face of it, quite impressive.
However after enjoying the first 24 hours you start to realize the caravan is not quite as awe inspiring as first believed. To sleep with my darling "other half" in a mere double bed after enjoying the comfort of a deluxe king size mattress at home is an experience not for the faint hearted. There is no give in the duvet for a start, and to wrestle for the bit which is rightfully yours is a nightlong battle resulting in a morning full of aches and pains and many brews to aid my recovery. The mattress has been well worn, it seemed to have lost its springyness many years ago, and the regulation pillows have less puff than Thomas the tank engine.
The walls are wafer thin and the kids snoring, trumping and general falling out hold no escape or rest bite, during your time of vacation.
The toilet is particularly a challenge, to find the best "turning point" to navigate the sitting down position is a work of art with just enough room to rest ones bottom I give thanks to the Lord I am no taller than the 5ft 8 height I was blessed with. The sink in front of me serves little purpose other than to again to challenge me to wash my hands without soaking both myself and the floor of the lavatory.
The cooking area is the next on my list of grievances, this particular caravan was designed to sleep eight but serve only one, there is absolutely no room to put my plates, make my sandwiches, make my tea, this resulted in some frustration as picnics are a daily pastime whilst on holiday.
Our TV had no remote, and the buttons kept sticking, our radiators didn't come on, we ran out of gas, we had no vacuum cleaner, the floors were always wet it was not a great advert for purchasing a deluxe holiday home.
Privacy!
It has to be accepted that if you choose a static caravan for your week of bliss, you have to absolutely give up your right to "me time" or any moments of privacy, every smell is shared with the family, from bacon to bedtime, from ablutions to showering, there is no place to hide!
However the location made up for the lap of luxury and the early morning dog walks along the cliff tops before the campsite awoke gave me just about enough time to reflect and pray about things on my weeks break.
Being by the rough sea, reminded me how powerful nature is, the wildlife how beautiful it is, and the rock formations, how old it is. I gave great thanks to God for his creation.
Yet whilst I still do not discern a permanent caravan, I also give thanks for the joy a family can give you if you let it, because although I may critique the Mobile home establishment, it created many laughs and happy events that will live long in the memory.
Blessings to you all.
Alex



No comments:

Post a Comment

On line

  I have always been intrigued by media, television and radio, I recall a time when the family would come together shortly after tea to chil...