Sunday 11 November 2012

SIMON


Hello once  more,
                                     Music  was my first love and it shall be my last, so the song goes, but in my case Simon was my first love, Music would come much later. Simon died when he was 24 years old, he had no teeth and couldn't walk in a straight line, I used to call him down from the neighbors patio which was a bit pointless because he was deaf as well, but although rather infirm, fortunately in his latter years he did have sight in one of his two eyes but I,m not sure which one! And as he hobbled down Marjory's garden he would let out the most awful meow to let me know he was on his way. After much waiting around he arrived and I had to haul him over the fence because the fifteen yard hike had left him utterly exhausted. I remember Simon had the most awful crusty fur on his rear where he had basically dried up to excessive sleeping  by the hot radiator. In truthfulness maybe we should have helped Simon on his way to heaven, he was not in good shape but we all really loved him, but eventually the time came for Simon to depart this world and it was one cold and frosty morning that I found Simon, deceased and very stiff under our patio park bench. I was very very upset, Simon was gone and funeral arrangements needed to be made!

My mother was in hospital at the time with 'lady problems' and someone had to break the news about Simon's death. She too was upset and as a family we arranged to bury him in the garden next to the Greenhouse. My Dad went off to run his Piano shop and gave us instructions to dig a big hole that would accommodate Simon comfortably. So my brother and myself took to the task but as young boys do we got tired and bored very quickly. So in truth the hole wasn't very deep at all but would just about do.

For the purpose of anonimity this person shall be known as Brenda, her real name is Brenda. Brenda was a feisty old lady who frequently fell out with my feisty old Mother, usually about the over hanging trees and out of control bushes, At the best of times, relations were rather 'Frosty' to say the least. Well not long after Simons grave had been prepared, 'Big Brenda' as we affectionately called her, came  bounding down the garden to investigate what the brothers Frost were up. 'What are you doing'? she asked. 'Were burying Simon' I responded. I don't recall exactly what she said but it went along the lines of 'you can't', vermin, vermin, vermin, rats, vermin, rats vermin, vermin, etc, I think she was slightly concerned that Simon would attract vermin! She insisted the grave was at least 4 foot deep, To cut a long story short I was still grieving and as a confident child, I politely told her that wouldn't be possible which didn't go down to well with Brenda and resulted in threats counter threats and involvement by the police and environmental health department if the hole wasn't made considerably bigger.
I rang my Father at his Piano shop and told me to go ahead and bury Simon and he would call on his way home to defuse the tension and find an acceptable solution.

To this day I have no idea what my Father said to Brenda, but the following morning I awoke, looked out of my bedroom window to find and 7 foot crucifix at the foot of Simon's grave. He insisted it remained in place for  some time and forbid us from venturing to Simon's resting place as he didn't want to light the torch paper.

A short while later the cross had been removed and although I don't know, I suspect Simon went as well, but I really can't be sure, but as an animal lover it makes one consider if our pets go to heaven.
As we have lived at our present residence for some time I rather feel I have lost count of the number of animals that have been laid to rest in my tiny back garden, in fact it's a bit of a dilemma when it come to planting bulbs in case we disturb the resting place of one of our many deceased cats, fish, gerbils, rabbits, etc etc.
The last of our cats to die was a dreadful little moggy called Sparky, we got her from a cat sanctuary, she had the softest feet, because she had been harmed and stood in acid She didn't wash and she was very unsociable and scruffy, she was the feline equivalent to Waynetta Slob. In her latter years, she was incontinent and rather unpleasant, I felt little affinity to this fleabag, and when the time came to have her put to sleep, I took her because, I pretended not to care, and thought I would be masculine and handle it like a 'proper man' should.

In the Vets, I placed her on the table and the expert did what was required. I cried whilst Sparky just went to sleep, she was wrapped in a Blanket and passed to me, she was lovely and warm and I put her in her pet box, took her home and buried her in the Garden.

A family favorite in the Frost household is Rolf Harris and his budget busting series, Animal Hospital. How we loved to weep along as Rolf choked back the tears as a dearly love guinea pig was put to sleep as' there was nothing else that could be done' for the little blighter, and oh how we smiled when a recovered hedgehog had been released back to the wild after a near miss with a tractor.

So do animals go to heaven? I think they do, but others may disagree. We can leave that for another time, but don't be surprised to be reading yet another blog about Love. Simon, which incidentally I do know is a silly name for a cat, was absolutely my best friend, I loved him with all my heart, Sparky was not but maybe the show of emotion at her death was because we gave her a good loving life, she was cared for, well fed, and could roam at her leisure, we did right by her.

And now Fletcher my current Dog, I,m sure he loves me as much as I love him, he follows me everywhere, he shows far much more pleasure to see me return home than my dear wife does, he is my companion, he is a good dog and I think when he pops off it is a nice to think he might be in heaven alongside, Simon, Sparky, and my long distinguished list of pets that have fertilized my garden over many many years..

For now, let love be your guide and let Jesus be your inspiration.
till next time
love and peace
Alextheanglican.

No comments:

Post a Comment

On line

  I have always been intrigued by media, television and radio, I recall a time when the family would come together shortly after tea to chil...