Tuesday 2 June 2015

A FREE MAN

A FREE MAN
Well hello,
                 It has been all of eleven day since I left the world of retail and became a free man, or so I thought. Simple daily tasks like, washing, ironing, letting the guinea pigs out, cutting the lawn, finding the start button on the vacuum cleaner, and preparing meals all now feels under my remit! Not that the good lady has insisted I  have happily taken on these responsibilities as  I kind of feel obligated as I enjoy my sabbatical from working life for the next month or so.Whilst Sarah continues working and the children return to studies I like to think of myself as a gentleman between jobs whilst the family keep referring to me as unemployed and sponging off Mother!

So whilst I am ‘resting’ I have started to enjoy my new surroundings with a little less stress now that shop keeping is no longer my profession. I was so relaxed a day or two ago that I found myself announcing to my family that next year I would be entering Britain’s Got Talent performing the fine art of contemporary dance. As I demonstrated a few moves in my dressing gown and pyjamas I gracefully pranced around the lounge at our new home, the children told me sit down and be quiet I did what I was told although I thought that was what I was meant to tell them!

I have discovered a few local walks and the woods around the corner from t’vicarage would be lovely if it wasn’t for the incredible variety of dog excrement that makes the muddy corridor to natures wonderful creations high risk. I need a keen eye and the navigational skills of S.A.S proportions are required. During my early morning walks I pass through a moss infused pathway and wave good morning to a neighbour whose dog barks at me aggressively on a daily basis which causes me to consider a re-route and sympathize at the noise which disturbs the sleepy neighbourhood which is yet to awaken!

We don’t really have direct neighbours due to the location of the house so my friendly instincts have only extended, to the lady at the garage where I get my loaf and bread for two pounds. Also the occasional hello with the local undertaker who un-unnervingly stopped his funeral procession to briefly say hello the other day was thoughtful. There is a man who runs a flower van at the gate of the crematorium, Its bit like a mobile butty shop only with flowers, his rotund body contorts as he leans against his workplace waiting for visitors to hand over money for daffodils and tulips and other flowery things before entering their loved ones places of rest. He looked at me enthusiastically as a potential customer initially and now as I pass him daily on the way to the garage he looks at me with nonchalance and distain. I offer a friendly hello which on a rare occasion I get a muted response but nothing to suggest we will become great friends over the coming years!

Down on one of the lanes my naivety was soon broken when I thought the Mr Kipling silver cupcake holders were purely the laziness of the local’s failure to dispose of their 'picnic' rubbish considerately, I now of course realize its rather more sinister than this as silver foil indeed litters much of the walkway. In the dead of night presumably the walkway becomes a den of iniquity for those who like to administer themselves with narcotics slightly more dangerous and addictive than Omega 3. The stroll down to the cemetery also makes me think about death and resurrection, on one side, the view is of endless gravestones and gardens and remembrance. On the other drug fuelled paraphernalia, silver foils and a large squashed bird of some description that has been so compressed into the tarmac it has no distinguishable features other than it used to fly. Did that flight of fancy make to heaven or not I wonder?

I am using my free time wisely I have watched Jeremy Kyle help the helpless assuming it is only a matter of time before he also raises the dead. I watched in awe and wonder as a man on ITV cooked some Asparagus in butter, I have ironed my socks in preparation for the big day, and I have been reading the autobiography of Bear Grylls, a man similar to myself, physically perfect, highly mobile, king of adventure and a devout Christian! I forgot how nice it is to read books of a non-theological nature. As I lied in the bath contentedly reading Bear the water had cooled enough that my blood red skin had returned to a safe enough temperature that my life was no longer at risk, I haven’t done that for ages.

I even watched a film with my daughter, it was a tense, intellectual thriller entitled Pudsey the dog, sadly I lost the will to live after sixty minutes and after falling in and out of a comatose state even my daughter agreed it was a little tedious.

The next week is very busy, I have to go to the library, I need a ‘new’ part worn tire for my driver’s side, and I need to post a letter! Seriously I am rather busy, a trip to Salford, a trip to Ambleside, then to Anglesey and then to Mirfield all in the next seven days are things I am looking forward to, I told you I was like Bear Grylls!

Beyond that is the big day, Ordination on the 4th July, but for now I am trying to put that to the back of mind and focus on the here and now. I unpacked the clergy shirts and gave them the once over with the Morphy Richards hotplate and as I ironed I thought, Me a Clergyman, you having a laugh? I seem to have more white clergy collars than St Paul’s Cathedral, if you need one let me know!!

Work is still in the mind as I weirdly expect to be called into an Argos meeting or something to pick up where I left off but deep down I know that is not going to happen. Do I miss the world of retail? Not yet! It is nice waking up in a morning not needing to rush, to take time with prayers and to enjoy a bit of ‘me' time. I am feeling very content at the moment and truly blessed reflecting with pride and affection on what has passed before me. I can’t wait to begin work as Fr Alex, and as the diary starts filling with tasks of a church nature so does the realization that ordained life is just around the corner. 

In Bears’ book he writes a lot about achievement, he has a really great story to tell and I highly recommend his book, but whilst we really are nothing alike I found a shared faith and a moment he reflected upon rather inspiring. Grylls broke his back in a failed parachute landing not long after successfully passing out as an SAS soldier and he subsequently left the elite forces due to his injuries.   Despite this his determination to make the most of his life was driven by an incredible self-will to achieve his goalsand whilst I haven’t climbed Everest or parachuted out of a helicopter, I haven’t wrestled with dangerous creatures or jumped of cliff tops, I have pushed myself physically and mentally to get this far. Both myself and the man of mud, sweat and tears have a common denominator and that is faith. He writes, ‘My Christian faith says that I have nothing to fear or worry about. All is well’. At this moment in time I couldn’t disagree with him in the slightest!

Till next time,

Peace brothers and sisters
Alextheanglican!



No comments:

Post a Comment

On line

  I have always been intrigued by media, television and radio, I recall a time when the family would come together shortly after tea to chil...